Monday, August 10, 2009

Church and Carthage Jail

The third day of our trip was Sunday and we attended 10:00am Sacrament meeting. Nauvoo has a population of 1100 people and in Sacrament meeting they said there were about 750 people, holy cow was it packed!
After Church we went to Carthage Jail, it is so humbling to know that you are standing in a place where Our prophet Joseph Smith was and where he also died. It's hard to tell you in words the feelings that I felt, when I stood in the same rooms where he was held as a prisoner and where he was shot. The spirit there is very overwhelming. I am so gratful that I had this opportunity, to get a glimpse into those days and what happened, and feel the spirit there.

The statue of Joseph and Hyrum in front of the Jail.
Photobucket
One of the rooms where they were imprisoned. It was really dark in there, no windows. It was blurry because I had to open my shutter for 30 seconds without a tripod to get a pic light enough to see anything, then I lightened it more in photoshop.
Photobucket
This is the room Joseph and Hyrum were shot in.
Photobucket
The window Joseph fell through.
Photobucket
This is the original door and bullet hole that killed Hyrum.
Photobucket
Photobucket

0 comments: